Monday, August 3, 2009

The Next Morning

Lake Itasca State Park, MN--Nothing like staring at a blank page to give you writer's block. But there's not exactly anything else to do, at least not until it warms up a little. I have Camp Contacts already, not people I've met but uncomfortable lenses. Still trying to figure out what my role on this trip is. Eve and Richard are both doing a lot of documenting and recording, and of course, having not yet begun, it's difficult to see how I fit in. Even though the trip is important, grant-funded, etc. it still feels like the life I know. My handwriting is still awful, children still crash their bikes (as horrified onlookers see the whole thing: father telling her to apply brakes; rapid swerving to and fro down a hill; an ugly crash; the immediate swell of crying), and I think it's potentially (the modifier is important) dangerous to mythologize what I'm doing and what they're doing.

No comments: