Monday, August 3, 2009

Beginning

Lake Itasca State Park, MN--I suppose you could say this is where my journey begins (you could say it isn't, too--I'm not going to argue with you). I was struck a few hours ago by the fact that the type and level of lifestyle and comfort I experience tonight will continue in fairly similar fashion for the next month and a half, and not only that but I am of course unused to this lifestyle and couldn't, and at this point still can't, tell you exactly how I feel about it. It's an odd sensation. You know how when you prepare for something new and big and potentially life-altering it becomes almost distant? Even then, you know approximately how you will feel, physically, most of the time and since we are physical creatures of course yada yada yada. Here, that feeling is gone, replaced by increased apprehension but also increased sense of pride and accomplishment, unearned maybe, but still. Done for now cause dead tired and potentially annoying tentmate. Also I would like to have battery life remaining in my headlamp for when I'm stranded in the wilderness.

No comments: