Wednesday, September 2, 2009

In Which Our Hero Gets Flustered

Red Wing, MN--I really am just too dumb to live. I know I don't like getting hot drinks with food. I always prefer cold drinks when I'm thirsty, and food (and kayaking) makes me thirsty. So I'm sitting in the Blue Moon, like Cafe or something (real original name there, guys) in Red Wing (which is an awesome name--take a cue, Blue Moon Cafe-or-Something, and not just algorithmically--Color, Object--but creatively), and I just kayaked 20 painful miles w/ no current and wind in my face (i.e. wind in my face but no current) and thus, understandably, I'm pretty tired, thirsty, and hungry (UPDATE: Just ate, now not so hungry). SO I decide to get food. So I'm looking at the menu, having decided to get a Coke to drink, but I take so long to find “Bagel and Cream Cheese” that when I finally spot it I forget what kinds of bagel I like so I order a plain bagel with plain cream cheese and to top it off (well, the cream cheese is technically what tops off the bagel, but I mean the metaphorical topping-off) I order a latte instead of a Coke! And though I realize my mistake immediately, I pause and completely forget to rectify it before the girl behind the counter has entered it into the register and then of course I can't possibly recant or even express skepticism because I've used that kind of cash register and in my experience, cancelling stuff is a total bitch, well probably not for most people but I always had trouble with it, and so in Mac's Reality once the buttons are pressed the decision is final. And in the long run, once the latte cools down it'll be at least as good as a Coke, but for now its heat and the lingering resentment I feel toward it are keeping me from enjoying and appreciating it.

I locked through my first dam today. I can't express how awesome it was. But I can express how cool it was. (Ed.: don't be cute.)

No comments: